Saturday, August 22, 2015

Vocabulary Study Update

Well, my first full week of instruction was this past week. OH.MY!!

I have a lot of things that need adjusting... like the amount of work I have planned. My classes are about an hour shorter this year, so I found myself having way too much to do and not enough time to do it. Needless to say...  I was a little stressed!

I did manage to get my first week of vocabulary complete! It took a little longer than expected, but I'm hoping the time will shorten once we get the hang of it. If you follow me on Instagram, then you probably saw this picture!
Many were asking about my vocabulary planning sheet and how I use Chromebooks to help my students with vocabulary. To be honest, it was one of those times when you have an idea at the last moment. I really didn't want my students to search through dictionaries to find the definition, synonyms, antonyms, and other ways to use the words. I grabbed my Chromebooks, paired my students together, and sent them to www.merriam-webster.com. I tried to look for other sites, but this one was simple enough for my 5th graders and had everything they needed.

Here are some other pictures of them working.


 They absolutely loved this lesson! Here's what we did each day! It only took us 3 days to complete the work, but I'm hoping to get it down to 2!
Monday- we read the sentences and decided which words went where (close style). We then determined the meaning of the words by using context clues.
Tuesday- the students worked on chrome books and found antonyms and synonyms for each word.
Wednesday- the students used the kid-friendly definition we came up with together, the sentence on the chart, and synonyms/antonyms to create their own sentence.

Before I gave the vocabulary planner to my students, I wrote out kid-friendly definition for each word OR you could have them write it.

Here's what our chart looked like after our vocabulary work days!
 I have decided that I really need 2 black pocket charts since I am teaching two different books. Right now I am switching them out with each class (I teach 4 classes and we are doing 2 different books) and it is a pain! I think I'm going to take down the orange charts and replace them with a full-size. I'm planning on putting the orange charts near so I can place our words in as we finish each cycle.
 Are you interested in my Vocabulary Planner? Grab it in my store for free! It is adapted from Word Nerds. You can click on the image below to go directly to the page.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At August 23, 2015 at 7:40 AM , Blogger Tara said...

LOVE Word Nerds!! Our entire school is doing a book study with it!! Any thoughts on apps (right now I use Dictionary) to use? We have Ipads, although as I type this, I'm thinking they could still use the sight you suggest through Safari....hmm....now I have to think...lol. Thanks for the post:)
4th Grade Frolics

 
At August 23, 2015 at 8:02 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love this idea, I'm wondering how you used the morphology page?
Thanks,
Eva

 
At September 1, 2015 at 5:58 AM , Blogger Terri said...

Tara, I honestly couldn't find any. The website worked for us because it gave them everything I wanted them to know. We did use the iPad one day and it worked well on them, too.

 
At September 7, 2015 at 8:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Eva, I used Kristen from Ladybug Teacher Files' Morphology Study last year and loved it! It really got my students using the words. However, I'm short on time this year. My system has a set of prefixes, roots, and suffixes 5th grade students need to know. I use this and choose 1-2 words per cycle. I basically give the students the meaning of the parts and they have to put them together to get the meaning of the word. We also discuss and record more words that share common prefix, suffix, and roots. If you'd like me to do a blog post on it just let me know. Thanks!

 
At November 7, 2015 at 7:58 PM , Blogger Toya said...

Terri, I would like to know what list of morphology words do you use? I also purchased a greek and latin root word resource from TPT however it doesnt work anymore with my students so I was thinking of purchasing Kristen's version.

 

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home