Thursday, July 16, 2015

Word Nerds: Chapters 3 & 4


Today I'm combining chapters 3 and 4. I didn't have much to take away from these two, but I did like the introduction lesson they gave in chapter 3.

My favorite was how Leslie used cloze sentences to have her fifth grade students predict which word would fit with which sentence based on their schema and context. I also liked how she mentioned that sometimes they would get to the last sentence and realize the word wouldn't fit. They would then have to go back and rework the words. She reiterates over and over how great this strategy is for test taking... and I totally agree!

In chapter 4, she mentions the use of vocabulary badges which is a great idea! She suggested using the words and their meaning to have students line up, answer random questions, etc. I like this idea, but I still haven't decided if it is something I'm going to use in my own classroom. If this is something you are interested in, you need to check out Leslie Ann's post and her adorable badges. I saw her badges, but I haven't read her chapter 4 post! I'm going to check that out now! :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home