Monday, April 18, 2011

Standards Checklist: Math

In math, my class has a standards checklist for each unit.  Basically, this is a list of the standards where students show they have mastered the standard.  These are all kept in a file folder for the entire school year.  At the end of the year, the students have a portfolio they can be proud of :)  This past year, I used file folders and just stapled the pages for each unit on the right side of the folder.  After students complete a unit, I staple the new one on top of the old one.  This year, I am using 2-hole clasps that go at the top of the folder, similar to those seen in doctor office records.  I searched for these for a while, but they were all sooo expensive!  In Quill, I found where they actually sold the clasps by themselves.  These ended up only costing about $10.00 for 100.  I also bought a 2-hole punch that was less than $15.00.  I am really looking forward to implementing this improving idea this year!
When students complete their checklist, and before they turn it in for a grade (after each unit), they work with their station partner.  The students trade folders and evaluate each others work.  They are to offer feedback.  Through my master's course work, I learned about 2+2 feedback.  2 positive comments, and 2 comments of improvement needed.  I am going to try and implement that this year with the students.  They actually do a really good job with correcting.  I tell them to pretend they are the teacher.  They seem to like that idea :)


This is the front cover of the standards checklist.  I write their name on the tab.
This is what it looks like open.  You can put things on the left, but I like to keep it all on the right.
This is what a finished page looks like.
This is a close-up of what the checklist looks like.  It's a simple table with the standards on the left and the students' work on the right.  Under the standard, you can see how the students offer feedback to one another.
This was after much revisiting!

Below are pictures of what my NEW standards checklist folders look like.  I do not have the papers in them yet, but I wanted to show you the prongs I will be using this year.




Labels:

8 Comments:

At April 19, 2011 at 9:53 PM , Blogger Cindy said...

Are you grabbing the standards straight from your state standards? From your curriculum? From the Common Core? Just wondered how you are deciding what language to use on the sheets.

Great idea! I'd love to hear more about how you teach kids to evaluate one anothers' work.

Thanks for linking up at the Math Monday Blog Hop. Hope to see you there every week. I'm excited to read more upper grade blogs! ;)
Cindy

 
At April 28, 2011 at 5:38 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm loving this! What a great way to show assessment data...and the kids have to be feeling so proud. Super Cool....btw I'm your newest follower.

 
At May 7, 2011 at 11:49 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Cindy- I'm not sure if you got my message before. We use "I can" statements that are basically our state standards but in language the kids can understand. We always use the statements in everything so the kiddos are use to it! I'm still working on the self & peer- evaluating part!

 
At May 25, 2011 at 8:28 PM , Blogger Amanda K. said...

I AM OBSESSED with this! I just had my kiddos highlight the skills in our testing folder(with all skills listed). THIS Is wondeful!

Ok, so did you buy the folder with the tabs or you found tabs to put in the folders?

Amanda
Third Grade Experience

 
At June 27, 2011 at 9:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the standards checklist! Do you or your district have the standards already in kid friendly language?
Thanks!
Jackie

 
At July 18, 2011 at 9:59 PM , Blogger Jakeandjess said...

We use something similar in my district called "data binders" they are divided by subject and we frequent these at the beginning of a unit , during, and at the end. Before starting the unit students have a list of the standards we are going t be working on. Using a bulls eye template students rate themselves on how they feel ( beginner: new concept/may have heard about it, proficient ( feel good but not 100% confident, or master: they feel so good they can teach the concept) These templates are revisited throughout the unit. It is our goal to all be proficient and/or masters by the end of the unit. We utilize these vocabulary terms throughout the day as we asses for learning.

 
At September 11, 2012 at 6:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this idea! Where do the students come up with evidence to support the standards? Do you provide an example for them to complete or do they create an example of there own?

 
At May 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have these anywhere? I love them and would love the template.

 

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home