Monday, April 14, 2014

Falling in Love with Close Reading

Don't you love the interaction between students and text when they close read?  I started {somewhat} using close reading this year, but I wanted to read a little more into it to get a better idea of what I was doing and how to guide my students to reach the deep understanding I want them to.  This past summer, I read Close Reading of Informational Texts.
This book was a great introduction to what close reading is and what it looks like in informational texts.  It left me wanting a little more.  Especially for my fiction readers.

That's when I found Falling in Love with Close Reading.  Have you heard about this book?  Maybe you have even read it!  I'm picky about my professional reads, because I can't read just anything.  I get easily distracted and bored... quick like!  If I'm going to finish a professional read, it has to be something highly engaging and something I can use in my classroom and small group instruction.


To be honest, the first chapter was just an introduction.. a little hard to get through.  So, I'm going to talk mostly about chapter 2.

This was a great chapter about helping students find text evidence in fiction and informational text.  I'm not going to give too many details, but I'm going to share some "Aha" moments I had as I read.  The focus of this chapter was based around a chart/anchor chart to help guide students  to close read their texts.  You can download the picture below to download a .pdf version of both fiction & informational.

  • As students read, have them write down things from #1 on your chart.
    • What do the characters say/think/do?
    • What are some relationships?
    • What do you notice about the setting?
    • What do you notice about the time period?
  • Then, have students sort through their notes and highlight related facts by color or by placing them in categories.
  • Students should ask themselves questions from #2 on your chart:
    • Which details fit together?
    • How do they fit together?
  • Then, students should look at any patterns and develop new ideas based on those patterns.



  • First, students read and record any facts, phrases, descriptions, photos, or graphics they do not understand.
  • Then, have students sort through their notes and highlight related facts by color or by placing them in categories.
  • Students should ask themselves questions from #2 on your chart:
    • Which details fit together?
    • How do they fit together?
  • Then, students should find patterns with confusing information.  Then, understanding can begin to come.

  1. The reason why the character __________ is because __________.
  2. It seems like this character tends to __________.
  3. My thinking about this character has changed because __________.
  4. These characters are really different because ___________.
  5. One issue I am noticing in this book is ___________.
  6. I think the author is trying to teach me __________.
  7. I think this because the author wrote __________.


  • Students can use stickies to record facts
  • Students can use highlighters/crayons to color-code common facts
  • Patterns help us see what's important
  • Start with simple examples to share as a introduction so you will have room to revise
  • Close reading may not be necessary every time
Overall, I was pretty excited about this chapter!  Don't miss chapter 3!


post signature




Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At April 14, 2014 at 4:27 PM , Blogger Brandee Green said...

Thanks for sharing! I just got my hands on this book! :)
~Brandee
Creating Lifelong Learners

 
At April 14, 2014 at 11:22 PM , Blogger Leanna said...

Your post makes me really want to buy this book! Another book to add to my summer reading list :) Thanks for sharing!

Leanna
A Little of LiLi
lilismilee.blogspot.com

 
At April 16, 2014 at 6:43 AM , Anonymous Nicola said...

Do check out the close reading portfolio from SNAP Learning. You can request a demo of the reading products here- www.snaplearning.co/request_demo

 

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home