Monday, July 13, 2015

Vocabulary Routine {Based off Word Nerds}


If you have missed my Word Nerds post, be sure to click here. Trust me, you don't want to miss out! Especially on the post from yesterday! Chapter 2 really got my gears turning in terms of vocabulary instruction. You can read that post here.

In my chapter 2 post, I promised to go into more detail today about what my plans are for vocabulary instruction based on Word Nerds. Keep in mind that these plans may change! I'm only on chapter 3 :)

Remember this picture from my post yesterday, Instagram, and Facebook?

It has received so many shares and likes {which I love, by the way}! First, let me tell you what my classes and schedule are like. Here are a few things you should know!

  • I teach ELA to the entire 5th grade
  • I teach 4 classes of ELA
  • I have an advanced gifted class, an upper average class, lower average class, and a co-teaching special needs class
  • I only have 70 minutes to teach reading, writing, grammar, and vocabulary
I know, I feel the same way! How am I going to make all this work? I'm really not sure, but I have something in the works that I will be sharing soon!

Here are my plans for vocabulary instruction. I'll try to present it in a way that makes sense! To be honest, I was just writing things as they came to me.
 Since time is of the essence this year, I am pretty much going to be teaching everything through my read alouds. Last year, read alouds were just a time for the students to come together, relax, and listen to a great story. We are going to be working with these novels this year and that is where my vocabulary will come from!

Have you ever read either one of these books? They are both excellent. I still haven't decided what to do about the 2 different texts. Elijah is a more mature book for my upper 2 classes and Homer P. Figg is easier to follow for my lower 2 classes. I really don't want to do the work for two books at a time, but I really want to keep the two separate... decisions!!!

 Most of our vocabulary instruction will come on Mondays. We will still work on vocabulary through the next 2 weeks (my cycle will be 2 weeks meaning we test bi-weekly) but most will be finished by our very first day, so students can work with these words and use them. The handout mentioned here will be similar to the teacher example they have on pg. 33, but mine will be for the students :)

Please note, the text should read, "Before **our** read aloud"
Last year, we studied morphology HARD! We had 10 words that we worked on for 2 weeks and then the students had a quiz. This summer, all the 5th grade ELA teachers in the county came together and chose 5th grade morphology words that we felt our students needed to study. There are only 12-15 per quarter, so they will be included in our vocabulary study. I will include around 3 words per cycle.

There you have it! I can't wait to read chapter 3 to gain more insight and other great ideas!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At July 13, 2015 at 6:29 PM , Blogger Not JANE said...

I can't wait to finish my math book so I can start this one! I love all your takeaways!

 

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home