Monday, July 8, 2013

Monday Made It

Good Morning!  It's Monday Made It time, ya'll!
I'm excited to share what I've been up to this past week.  I've been spending a lot of time getting some of my larger crafty to-dos done and last week was no different.  I've been working in my classroom here and there for the past few weeks.  I usually spend about two 8 hour days a week.  I've moved classrooms so I had to do A TON of unpacking.  I felt like that was going to take forever!  I finally got my unpacking done.  If you are interested in the progress I made, you can check out my latest post here.

So, I got some crazy idea that I *needed* to paint all my furniture white... really?  What was I thinking??  It has taken a ton of paint and a ton of time.  But, it's done.

Ok, on to my Made It.  This is not my original idea.  Jill from Controlling My Chaos shared her 2012 classroom with us in this post here.  I love that she teaches middle school but still decorates her room for her kiddos!

I fell in love with her bookcase {among other things like her pencil caddy}....


Isn't it lovely how she has a beautiful design in the back?? 

I knew I wanted this for my teacher bookcase because I wasn't sure it would hold up to the kiddos if I tried it on the ones they would use.  So....

I searched high and low for some stylish and modern scrapbook paper that would fit in with my decor... nothing... couldn't find it... not even at Hobby Lobby.  I was beginning to think it wasn't going to happen.  I could always use fabric, but gosh... fabric is just outrageous!  $7.99/yd... no thanks!  Then, I got the grand idea to use wrapping paper.  Hobby Lobby didn't even have a pattern there that I liked either, but my wonderful Target did, of course!
So, I painted my bookcase, left the backing brown, and used Mod Podge and wrapping paper to back it.  This was not an easy task.  The wrapping paper was huge and difficult to work with.  Not to mention it was thin and wanted to rip every time I painted over it.
However, I did get it done and I am so happy with the outcome!!  I just love how modern and simple it looks :)

Here are the before/after photos.

before...  ugly plain jane... nothing cutesy about it.. just not me..

 after.....  {ahhemmm... please excuse the mis-matched baskets on the top shelf.. I was just making sure they would fit..}




I just loved what I did with it!  So me!!!

Lastly, I wanted to update an older Monday Made It I did a few weeks ago.  Remember my "READ" letters?  Remember my "D" was sold out?

Well, I went back and purchased it.  Then, when I went to paint, I noticed that I wasn't too crazy about some of the other letters I had painted because they didn't really go with my classroom.  So, here are my new letters.... I just love them!

My favorite has got to be the "D".  I just love it!


post signature

Labels:

35 Comments:

At July 8, 2013 at 7:05 AM , Blogger Brandee Green said...

Love the book case! I am so inspired that I just might work on one that I already have. :) YAY! Thanks for the idea.
~Brandee
Creating Lifelong Learners

 
At July 8, 2013 at 7:08 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Brandee. I've had this one for a while, but I was really wanting to make every piece of furniture in my room something I love. We are there enough! Try to use scrapbook paper if you can. If you can't find it, try to get a little thicker wrapping paper. I can't wait to see it! :)

 
At July 8, 2013 at 7:29 AM , Blogger Jessica Goodrow said...

Now that I have started making things with coordinated colors, I want to paint my furniture too. But it wasn't easy to paint my stool so I don't know if I'm up for it. Love the letters. I'm going to make some for next week.

Jessica
Literacy Spark

 
At July 8, 2013 at 8:39 AM , Blogger Third Grade Galore said...

I love the bookshelf. I have a set of white shelves and just adding a background will make them look nicer. Thanks for the tip!

Jeanette
Third Grade Galore

 
At July 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM , Blogger The Writing Mama said...

WOW I am loving that shelf --- it looks great!! So glad you found a D.. and I can see why it's your favorite.. it is super cute!


Ashley
That's So Second Grade!

 
At July 8, 2013 at 9:36 AM , Blogger Teaching Little Miracles said...

Wow! I love the bookshelf...it has my mind going...I have a WALL of bookshelves. Don't think I could do them all, but maybe one little accent section??? Hmmm... This is why I love Monday Made-It!!!

Crystal
Teaching Little Miracles

 
At July 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM , Blogger Foreman Teaches said...

Painting all your furniture white is a big undertaking! Looking at your before and after bookshelf proves it is well worth it. It looks great!

Foreman Teaches

 
At July 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM , Blogger FabandFunin4th! said...

Your bookshelf looks great! I would have never thought to use wrapping paper...I'm definitely going to do this with my bookshelf at school!
Bethany
FabandFunin4th!

 
At July 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM , Blogger Adventures in Room 204 said...

I love the book shelf and the letters! Turns out great! :)

-Allison
Adventures in Room 204

 
At July 8, 2013 at 11:52 AM , Blogger Lana said...

Your book shelf makeover turned out FABULOUS! Isn't it amazing what a coat of paint will do! This really makes me want to paper to my white book shelves, too!

 
At July 8, 2013 at 12:00 PM , Blogger Jessica @ Fabulous and Fun 4th Graders said...

I love the bookshelf makeover!
Jessica
Fabulous and Fun 4th Graders

 
At July 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I always start and wonder why?? So, I know how you feel :)

 
At July 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Ashley. I love how it turned out. It's like my pride & joy when I walk into my room :)

 
At July 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you found it useful and something you could use!

 
At July 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I think it would look great and also maybe split it up a bit?? Can't wait to see yours :)

 
At July 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks! It's so worth it :)

 
At July 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you, Allison :)

 
At July 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

It is amazing. It's like two totally different book shelves!

 
At July 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Jessica :)

 
At July 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

I'm getting ready to buy a cheap bookshelf from Target for my teacher stuff. I don't know why I hadn't thought of adding the scrapbook paper to it. I guess it is because I don't have to paint it. Yours turned out beautiful! What is it with the letter D? My daughter's name is Delaney and we can never find D's. At one kid's store they said they don't carry the letter D. theyhave all kinds of notebooks, necklaces, etc... but none that have a D on them. Glad you found one! :)
Kelly
I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

 
At July 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM , Blogger Mrs. Lazenby said...

I love your book shelf! We aren't allowed to have any of our own furniture in the room, nor are we allowed to paint what we have. :/ A girl can dream though, right?

Amber
Creative Ideas for the Upper Elementary Classroom

 
At July 8, 2013 at 4:05 PM , Blogger Courtney said...

I love this bookshelf! You did a great job transforming it!
Courtney
Polka Dot Lesson Plans

 
At July 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

Wow I now know what IM doing with my plain old boring shelf! Thanks for the inspiration it looks great!
Amanda
Rock Stars At Work

 
At July 8, 2013 at 5:50 PM , Blogger Alison Rose said...

I'm obsessive about all of my furniture bein' black! Your shelf looks great!
Alison
Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

 
At July 8, 2013 at 7:13 PM , Blogger Kristina Zucchino said...

I think we have a lot in common...I just purchased a new mail sorter and my principal said, "Have you painted it yet?" Got to love matching furniture (and baskets). Your hard work paid off - they look FABULOUS!

Your newest follower,

Kristina
Mrs. Z & Company

 
At July 8, 2013 at 7:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I really do love your bookshelf. I think I just may do he same thing to my two that sit beside my desk. It would really liven them up.

Dee
Mrs. B's Nook

 
At July 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

That's funny about the D. Glad I'm not the only one! :)

 
At July 8, 2013 at 8:19 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

That's interesting. I guess I'm very thankful that we can. This bookshelf is actually one the school purchased...oops! lol

 
At July 8, 2013 at 8:19 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Can't wait to see it :)

 
At July 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I was debating on black but decided to go with white. I just love it when it all matches :)

 
At July 8, 2013 at 8:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ha! Sounds like my principal. I'm sure she's been up that way to see what I've had going on. She knows I can't just settle for ordinary!

 
At July 8, 2013 at 8:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yes it would and I can't wait to see it if you decide to :)

 
At July 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM , Blogger Emily Heise said...

I am SO doing that to a bookcase! Thanks for the idea!!!

 
At July 8, 2013 at 11:21 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

So cute! Do you have any tips for mod podge-ing ith wrapping paper? I have some I would love to use. Thanks!
Rachel
La Señorita Creativa

 
At July 9, 2013 at 6:45 AM , Blogger Anne Tussing said...

Your bookshelf turned out beautifully! I love the paper you chose. I can't wait to try this idea!!

 

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home