Monday, July 1, 2013

Monday Made It

I am linking up once again for Tara's Monday Made It.

I have been waiting impatiently to share this photo with you... but I knew I wanted it to be my Monday Made It since I... well... made it!  I was so excited to make panels for my large windows in my classroom.  I knew I wanted it to feel like something I would put in my own home so I opted to go with two tall panels.  I basically just went to the fabric store and browsed around for what I wanted.  This is the end result... and I love it!




I'll post more of my classroom today, but I wanted to get it a little more organized before I did that.  I just love these curtains and all the pretty things hanging from the ceiling.  And yes, the large white round lantern is actually a light.

Here's where I got everything...
fabric- Hobby Lobby
curtain rod and hooks- Wal-Mart
pink shag rug- Garden Ridge
large white lantern- Ikea (only $15 for the entire setup)
puff balls- The Knot

I won't bore you with the 'how-tos' but I will share the steps just in case you would like to make your own... they are SUPER easy.

First, get all your supplies together.  You will need 
-your actual curtain fabric and a white liner fabric (I just used white cotton.. the cheapest they had.)
-scissors
-measuring tape
-straight pins
-sewing machine

Place your curtain fabric with pattern facing your lining.  I just left mine the width of the fabric (I think it was 44".)  Cut the fabric the length you will need.

Now, place straight pins around the edge of the entire panel being sure to leave space to sew between the pins and the edge.  Yes, you actually need to do this.  It keeps the fabric in place and prevents it from moving around.  I use to not do this..... such a time and frustration saver!

Sew around the edge, leaving an opening about 6".

Cut off any excess fabric.  You want your edge to be as close to your seam as possible.

Now turn it inside out (this is why you left the gap.)  Lay it flat and iron the edges flat.  Now sew around the panel one last time being sure to completely sew up the gap left by tucking in any fabric and making it look like the rest of the edges.

Now you are ready to apply your hooks for hanging.  If you are not wanting to use hooks then you will need to make a pocket for the rod.

Making your own panels is so easy and you can find the exact fabric you want instead of settling for something from a store. I just love mine!  Now go link up with Tara!


post signature

Labels:

33 Comments:

At July 1, 2013 at 6:35 AM , Blogger lola said...

So cute! I am jealous. I don't own a sewing machine but even if I did I am not sureI would know how to use it. :)
Preschool Wonders

 
At July 1, 2013 at 6:40 AM , Blogger Tara said...

So fun! I wish we could have curtains!!! My blinds are soooo ugly:( Love how your curtains turned out and the sneak peek at your classroom! Colorful and fun:)))) My kind of classroom:) Thanks for linking up:)

4th Grade Frolics

 
At July 1, 2013 at 7:05 AM , Blogger Robyn Beele said...

Love this! The chevron print is so cute!

 
At July 1, 2013 at 7:30 AM , Blogger Miss Nelson said...

I love them. I wish I could sew.

 
At July 1, 2013 at 7:37 AM , Blogger Heather Temske said...

Your curtains came out great. I look forward to the rest of the reveal.


Heather
room 4 imagination

 
At July 1, 2013 at 8:07 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

These look great! I can't wait to see the rest of your classroom.

Krista
Stellar-Students

 
At July 1, 2013 at 8:52 AM , Blogger Third Grade Galore said...

These look great! I was going to sew curtains for my room last summer and never did it. Now that I see yours I WILL do it this summer.

Jeanette
Third Grade Galore

 
At July 1, 2013 at 9:37 AM , Blogger 4321Teach said...

Very cute! I wish the fire marshall in my county would allow that.

EmilyK

 
At July 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

These look SO GOOD!! I am jealous of your windows! I don't have a single one in my class! I wish I could find a place for curtains! :)
Nicole
Rowdy in Room 300

 
At July 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

Terri, they look great! I've made simple curtains before, but I've never lined them. You made it look easy, but somehow when I start sewing things never go quite as well! lol I was wanting to get some sheers for my windows, but now you've made me think about trying to make some valances. We have nice blinds, I just want a pop of color.
Kelly
I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

 
At July 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM , Blogger The Colorful Apple said...

Your curtains came out great! I want to add some to my classroom this year. The window shades are so ugly.

Sara :)
Smiling In Second Grade

 
At July 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM , Blogger Aimee said...

I am making curtains for my classroom, but they are not nearly as fancy as these! They turned out great!!

Aimee
Primarily Speaking

 
At July 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM , Blogger Emily said...

Great job!
Emily
I Love My Classroom
Follow Me on BlogLovin
Like Me on Facebook
Follow Me on Pinterest
Follow Me on Instagram

 
At July 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I love the fabric that you used. It's really nice that it's also covering the door in case you need to.
Jennifer
Darling Little Learners

 
At July 1, 2013 at 1:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

These turned out great! I like the black and white...

Smiles,
Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

 
At July 1, 2013 at 1:54 PM , Blogger Molly Maloy said...

Your curtains turned out adorable!!! They really help made a homey classroom! Can't wait to see more pics of your classroom!! I won't be able to go back into mine until mid-August!!

Molly
Lessons with Laughter

 
At July 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM , Blogger Lana said...

Your curtains are absolutely adorable! I love that fabric! Can't wait to see your classroom!

 
At July 1, 2013 at 4:28 PM , Blogger A Rocky Top Teacher said...

This looks great! I am wanting to make panels for my room and your blog was a great inspiration for me!

-Sarah

A Rocky Top Teacher

 
At July 1, 2013 at 7:58 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Sure you can! It's so easy :) I just got on mine and started practicing one day.

 
At July 1, 2013 at 7:58 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks! We'll see what the FM thinks! lol

 
At July 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you!

 
At July 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Get on a machine and give it a try ;)

 
At July 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you!

 
At July 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Good for you! Can't wait to see them!

 
At July 1, 2013 at 8:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

We'll see what mine thinks!

 
At July 1, 2013 at 8:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm moving into this room so I'm super excited of all the sun the room gets!

 
At July 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ha! This sounds like me.. I start growling at the machine and such! lol

 
At July 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Go for it!

 
At July 1, 2013 at 8:02 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

That's exactly why I wanted panels.. great coverage in case of emergencies!

 
At July 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM , Blogger Jennifer Laffin said...

What great curtains! I love the fabric!

Jennifer
Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

 
At July 1, 2013 at 10:48 PM , Blogger Karen Stamp said...

These turned out great!! The fabric really pops!
Karen :o)
Mrs. Stamp's Kindergarten

 
At July 2, 2013 at 1:32 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

Very cute! Can't wait to see more classroom photos!
Kelly
A View Into My Classroom

 
At July 2, 2013 at 9:31 AM , Blogger Lindsay said...

Your curtains turned out so great! I just love that fabric. I'm going to have to head to hobby lobby now to grab some of that great chevron!

Lindsay
Live Laugh & Learn in Second Grade

 

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home