Tuesday, July 9, 2013

S.T.A.R. Literacy Binder Series: Introduction

Do any of you feel as though summer is slipping right through your fingers?  There's nothing you can do about it... nada.  I've been crafting and painting a lot lately {for my classroom, of course}, but I haven't *really* thought about the instructional aspect of next school year.  I just can't get focused.  Usually, I'm not that worried because I have taught math for four years.  But this year, I am teaching reading/ELA and trying to implement the Daily 5.  The best part about all of this is I'm able to work with my team teacher from last year since I'm moving from 4th to 5th!  Yay!  I'm so excited about that because she is such an awesome teacher and we will be teaching the same thing... just different grades..  **Disclaimer... when I say "I" I really mean "we" since a lot of these ideas are our collaborative effort... it just sounds weird saying "we."

So, as I began thinking about the upcoming school year before school was even over {I know, I know.. really?} I knew I wanted to implement some type of literacy binder.  Since I am teaching 5th grade, I wanted to have something the kids could be proud of and something to hold them accountable for their learning.  Binders will be such a huge part of their school day when they enter middle school.  I wanted to prepare them and teach them how to not only keep a binder, but how to organize it so they can use it as a learning tool and not just storage.

So, this is a HUGE task that I have yet to begin.  I want it to not only be organized but to ACTUALLY be useful for the kids.  In an effort to get my brain focused {which it is not}, I have decided to do a blog series on how I'm going to have the kids setup these binders.  I will also post pictures as I will be putting one together myself so the kids can have an example.  I am calling this my......


You'll understand the S.T.A.R. in just a moment.  First things first.. I'm not on any kind of schedule.. I can't keep them.  If I say I'm going to post every Monday, guess what??  It doesn't happen.  However, I will say that I will post these as I get them completed :)  And, I can guarantee the entire series will be finished by August 12th!  There may be some weeks where there are 1-2-3 or more posts.  That's okay... just pin them and read them when you have a chance.  Also, I will be combining all the files I share with you and posting them as a bundled set in my TpT shop once the series is completed.  BUT, as a follower of my blog, you will have the first chance to get these free.  After I publish a post, you will have 24 hours to download all the files discussed/presented in that particular post.  After 24 hours, the link will no longer work.

I started brainstorming and reading Beth Newingham's post about her Reader's Notebook.  Oh my!  This resource is so wonderful.  She has a plethora of information about how she does hers.  The next thing I did was to sit down and come up with my sections or divider tabs.  This is how each of my posts will be divided; I will post about each tab in it's own individual post.


Here's how the process came about....

I first started brainstorming with the pink paper then transferred that information along with additional thoughts onto notebook paper.  From that will come this series :)

Introduction:

My teamie and I wanted to come up with a catchy title for our binders.  We were in search of an acronym that would be fun and meaningful.  She came up with S.T.A.R.- Students Taking Academic Responsibility.  I said... yes, yes, yes!  I love it!  She came up with the title and I came up with the design :)  I just love how it turned out :)


You can download this editable file here.  This will always be free :)  To type in the field, just place a textbox where you want text.

Okay, so I have an adorable binder cover... now what?

Before the tabs, I will have a weekly Daily 5 check-in sheet where students will record what part of the daily 5 they are working on.  There will be requirements as to the frequency of each choice.  I'll post more about this in my next post :)

Now, we move into the tabs.  The Daily 5 check-in sheet will be the only page not in a tab.

  • Tab #1: Reading log
    • classroom log
  • Tab #2: Genres Tab
    • any information regarding genres will go here
    • genres overview page 
  • Tab #3: Goals & Progress
    • creating goals cheat sheet
    • how to monitor progress cheat sheet
  • Tab #4: Mini-Lessons
    • any notes or handouts that were given during mini-lessons OR that go along with our mini-lesson focus
  • Tab #5: Reading Response
    • how to respond to what I read cheat sheet
    • read to self & read to someone
  • Tab #6: Word Work / Spelling
    • spelling patterns
    • word work {in progress}
  • Tab #7: Writer's Toolbox
    • handouts
    • tips
    • process cheat sheet
  • Tab #8: Writing
    • in progress
    • completed {maybe transfer to portfolio??}
So, to review... there will be 8 tabs in the binder with a daily 5 check-in as the first page.  As you can see.. right now it's a work in progress.  Please join me again {as we learn together} for my next post in this series.

S.T.A.R. Literacy Binder Series: Part 1

Daily 5 Check-In & Reading Log

Questions?? Comments?? Please leave them below :)


post signature





Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At July 9, 2013 at 11:02 PM , Blogger Alison Rose said...

I started using binders with my 4th graders and then looped up to 5th grade. I have to tell you, you are making a GREAT decision. They really do help with the responsibility and preparation for middle school. I also added standards checklists so they were aware of exactly what we were covering and we checked off as we hit something. I added subject area vocabulary sheets for fifth grade provided by my state and we highlighted if we discovered that word. Plus, much more! I won't ever NOT use binders again. I can't wait to read more about how you will be using them and setting them up! So far, love!
Alison
Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin"

 
At July 9, 2013 at 11:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

That sounds awesome. I used a standards checklist in math last year where they had to work and show mastery. Do you have a post where you talk about your binders? I would love to read it.

 
At July 10, 2013 at 12:35 AM , Blogger Alison Rose said...

I am BRAND new to the blogging world...less than one week. I haven't written anything exciting or helpful yet that is academic related. I looked back on my class website for parents/students and found even there it's pretty general. I'll let you know if I come up with anything earth shattering to write about binders. Binders & agenda info on my class website

 
At July 10, 2013 at 7:03 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, please do! How many tabs do you have? I'm afraid I'm going to end up with too many, but I want it to be organized.

 
At July 10, 2013 at 11:10 AM , Blogger Alison Rose said...

I guess I have a character limit...I've basically written a whole book report for you and it won't let me enter it. :( So, I'm going to go stalk you on FB instead and send you a message there! :)

 
At July 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM , Blogger Adventures in Room 204 said...

Terri, I LOVE this idea! I can't wait to continue reading about it! :)

-Allison
Adventures in Room 204

 
At July 12, 2013 at 4:59 PM , Blogger Heather Temske said...

Terri, I love your idea. It was super sweet of you to share your cute cover. Do you mind if I recreate one with a starfish look since I'm doing oceans?

Thanks!
Heather
room 4 imagination

 
At July 22, 2013 at 8:36 PM , Blogger Adventures in Room 204 said...

Terri, I have decided to take the plunge and do a very similar binder! I'm having a hard time downloading your binder cover though! Would you mind emailing it to me?! :)

-Allison
Adventures in Room 204

 
At July 22, 2013 at 10:30 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I do not mind :) Sorry it has taken me so long to respond.

 
At July 22, 2013 at 10:35 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Try this link. It is ppt so you can add your own text if you like. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8m18waasrp0ru21/STAR%20binder%20editable.pptx

Let me know if it doesn't work.

 
At August 26, 2013 at 11:28 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

What size binders are you using? (I'm assuming small ones won't work after a period of time.) Are you ever going to clean out the information and store it somewhere else so that the students don't lose it or become too cluttered?

 

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home