Friday, July 19, 2013

S.T.A.R. Literacy Binder Series: Part 2

Thanks for joining me again.  I've been a little busy lately, but if I'm planning on getting this series completed by August 12th then I better get busy :)

This post will be short because most of the information that will be included in this tab will come from class talks and classroom instruction.  However, there are a few things I would like to share with you that we will be using.

Genres

I want to make sure my students are reading and I also want to make sure they are reading a variety of books.  Often times, I hear students complain that they don't like reading because they can't find anything they enjoy.  However, these are the same students that are reading every single book in the same series.  If they are in the same series then they are more than likely in the same genre.  I love how Beth Newingham has her students graph the genre of the books they are reading.  This is a great monthly visual so students can see what they are reading a lot of and not enough of.  I knew this was something I wanted to incorporate in my literacy binders for my students.  Having students keep track of their reading and to be accountable for their reading variety is going to be such a benefit to my students.  Their graph will look like the one below.  It will already have the month and genres listed.  The only thing they will need to do is write their name and record their reading.  It will look like this.  I am eventually planning on adding custom clip art to each month that correlates with the month.  But, to start off, we will stick with the cute kids!


Another component of my genres tab will be a genre overview.  This will be the first page the students will see when they turn to the section.  This will be a one page visual that students can use as a resource during their reading.  It will look like this!


The last component of my genres tab will consist of any notes, handouts, or any thing else related to reading genres.  Most of this information will come from explicit small group/whole group instruction. 

This concludes the second post of the series.  I hope you have found something useful.  These files will be available until tomorrow evening only.  After that given time, they will be archived into the bundled set that will go on sale in my shop when this series concludes.  This file is only available in .pdf format to protect the copyrights of the clipart {sorry!}  To access the file, click HERE.

Don't miss my next post:

S.T.A.R. Literacy Binder Series: Part 3

Goals & Progress
post signature


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At July 20, 2013 at 12:39 PM , Anonymous Libby Gregory said...

I loved Beth's idea as well and had already added this to my to-do list! I plan to use the chart per six weeks rather than monthly for my fifth graders. Your genre' page is so cute!

 

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home