Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Teacher Week '13: Classroom Digs

I'm a little late linking up with Blog Hoppin for their Classroom Digs, but I have a good excuse :)  Tomorrow is Open House and I've been getting things ready like crazy.  I'm going to be a day late on all of these... but that's okay :)  I've waited so long to show off my classroom.  As you probably already know, I moved grades and subjects this year.  So, I started off with a clean slate.... literally.  It has taken hours upon hours to get my room the way I want it.  I still have a few things to finish, but I'm in first day of school mode right now.

Classroom Digs

This is the view of my classroom right when you walk into the door.  I made a sort of 'foyer' by placing a long short bookshelf in front of the door.  I like this :)  You can see it a little better from the picture below.


This is the shelf where I will store my Word Work bins.  So far, I have two that have something in them and two that are empty ;).  I also have my dictionaries and supply bins here.

This is right beside my door.  It's a place to house kleenex, sanitizer, and student supplies.  I got this shelving unit from Ikea and I LOVE IT!  Such a space saver.  The reminders board is where I have the students write if their transportation changes or if a teacher has a note to me about a behavior check.


Love my genre posters from Molly {Lessons with Laughter}.  They are so cute and my letters made with my Silhouette are awesome!

This is my homework board made with vinyl letters from my Silhouette and washi tape.  I just love it!


This is where my 'I Can' statements will go.  I usually have all my standards posted and highlight the ones we are working on, but there are soo many with ELA.  I will be using my 'I Can' statements found here.  They are gray/white chevron with a cute frame.  I also love how my alphabet from Kristen turned out.

This is my reading area.. please ignore the paper with the spray painted frame on it.. hehe.  I {LOVE} my lantern light and curtains.

These are my book baskets that I purchased from Really Good Stuff.  I simply created some really cute {& simple} frames, placed two hole punches in the top, and tied a white ribbon.  I love how simple they look and the size of the baskets.  These are the large rectangular ones.

More reading baskets {notice I ran out of the white ribbon with these.}  But, that's okay!  At least it's not on the same shelf.  The top of this shelf is where I will have my spotlight books.  RIght now, it's two of my favorites and a back to school.

This is my CAFE board that is right beside my small group area.  I have decided that I WILL allow the students to write the cards.  This is a biggie for my since I like things nice and neat.  We shall see how this goes!

Figurative Language posters from Molly... love

This is my small group area.  I have everything I will need here.  Including great new stools from Ikea.  They are awesome!

I love my little caddy I made to house our small group supplies so every student can have access.  I'll throw in some pencils & dry-erase markers.

I love this storage cart from Michaels.  It is where I store my Word Work supplies, extra post-its, and my CAFE board strategy cards.  I still have a few drawers to fill up.

I'm not too crazy about this {nor am I done with it} but I think I can make it work.  I really hate the green since it doesn't go with any of my decor but it was all I had.  This is where our spelling words and vocabulary words will be.  Like I said, I'm still not done and I'm hoping it will look a little more pulled together once I am finished with it.

These are my book boxes for both of my classes {I teach 2!}  Both classes will share the same book box.  That's an entirely different post that I will have to do later.  I use a number system and I love it.  It also helps with students sharing.

This is my writing area with my VOICES board.  I will put strategy cards here on the board as we discuss them.  On this board, I made the ruffle border with white fabric.  It was a pain in my arm, but I love how it turned out.

Love this freebie.

This is my dry-erase board that I made.  It was a Monday Made It that never made it to Monday Made It...  lol  I actually just went back to link up to my post about it when I realized I never did it... Oops!  Anyways, I will post a weekly quote on this board each week.  I'm so excited about this.

This is my mess of a teacher are with the trash can over flowing!

The front view of my teacher area.  You can view the wreath tutorial above my bookshelf here.  I really like the way it turned out.  I also love my Thirty-One Wall organizer beside my filing cabinet.  If you need one of those, I can hook you up and get it directly shipped to your house.  I'm a consultant so let me know if you are interested.  Heck, you can even host a party and get it for free.  We don't have to be neighbors... you can do a catalog order :)  For real though, if you are interested let me know {terri.renee09@gmail.com}
I also love my picture frame with no picture :)

This is the view looking towards the front door.


This is my whole group / Smartboard / Document Camera area.  I'm soooo excited about having a document camera this year.  Hopefully I can play around with it tomorrow :)

This is my Word Wall.  The letter headers are free in my TpT shop.

This is the view of my classroom from my desk.

Open House... ready to go!

Love my informative flip book... ignore the blue paper.  That is not part of it.


I hope you have enjoyed looking around my room as much as I love being in it.  I think it's important that you and the students both want to be in the classroom together and I think I accomplished that this year.


post signature




Labels: ,

19 Comments:

At August 14, 2013 at 8:45 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I LOVE your room! It looks so warm and inviting. I can tell you put a lot of hours and planning into your classroom :)

 
At August 14, 2013 at 8:49 PM , Blogger Cassie Thompson said...

This looks so great! I would totally want to be in your 5th grade class. :) Very organized and colorful but not too young for the kiddos. Love that rug! I am going to do those flipbooks too. I saw them on Pinterest!
Have a great year!
Mrs. Thompson
Adventures in Teaching (A First Grade Blog)
My TpT Store

 
At August 14, 2013 at 8:57 PM , Blogger FabandFunin4th! said...

Love all the bright colors in your room! I just bought those same stools from IKEA....they are great!
Bethany
FabandFunin4th!

 
At August 14, 2013 at 9:00 PM , Blogger Lindsay said...

I love the way your room turned out! It's so fresh & organized! I especially love your library area. The lanterns and curtains make it so cozy.

 
At August 14, 2013 at 9:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I kept noticing all your Thirty One bags in your pictures - so when I read you were a fellow consultant, it all made sense! haha :) Your room looks amazing! I'm jealous of your large space - and the rug is SO cute!

 
At August 14, 2013 at 9:06 PM , Blogger Bethany Hunter said...

Your room looks great! I love the bright colors and your stools!

Hunter's Teaching Tales
Find me on Facebook

 
At August 14, 2013 at 9:20 PM , Blogger Jess said...

I love your room! It looks fantastic! I would want to be in your class. I love your stuff from ikea. How did you get the lights colored? The green and pink ones on the ceiling. Thanks for sharing!
Rambling About Reading

 
At August 14, 2013 at 9:40 PM , Blogger Alison Rose said...

Your room looks GREAT! Everything flows and looks great. Love, love, love!
Alison
Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

 
At August 14, 2013 at 9:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you! It was a lot of effort but totally worth it :)

 
At August 14, 2013 at 9:44 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

That's where I got the idea too... it took a lot longer than I wanted to spend but I think it came out great.

 
At August 14, 2013 at 9:44 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

L-O-V-E the stools :)

 
At August 14, 2013 at 9:44 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much. It's amazing the difference the white bookshelves made.

 
At August 14, 2013 at 9:46 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I hung fabric panels over each light in my room so it's not as bright. All I did was cut them to size, place a small hole in each corner and place on a hook from the ceiling tiles.

 
At August 14, 2013 at 9:46 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you!

 
At August 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ok, I'm driving to Georgia. I want to be in your classroom. I want to ask you a million questions about your classroom set up....ok, I'll stop obsessing!
One question, where did you get the idea/file/pin for the Open House flapbooks with the student info? I'd love to do that for my kids. I always do a brochure, but the flipbook/flapbook would be more fun and something different! :)

 
At August 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

So funny! You can find the pin here: http://justreed-ashley.blogspot.com/2013/06/throwback-thursday-parent-handbook-flip.html

 
At August 15, 2013 at 8:08 AM , Blogger Krista R. said...

Love your room! It looks gorgeous! Where did you get the freebie for the pencil?

 
At August 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

Your room looks amazing! I love all the additional lighting and how calm it looks!
A Tall Drink of Water

 
At August 16, 2013 at 8:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your room is GORGEOUS! You have created a PHENOMENAL learning environment! Well done!

 

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home