Monday, September 22, 2014

Genre Study

Last week, I wanted to spend a little time reviewing reading genres.  I know it seems to be an easy enough concept for 5th graders, but I wanted to remind them of the differences between the genres we read.

First, I started off talking about the characteristics of fiction and informational texts.  I chose to use the wording informational because it is the same language that is used in our CC standards.  I am trying to get the students to understand that non-fiction is in fact informational.  First we jotted the differences between the two on a t-chart.  Then, I took that information and created these two anchor charts to place on our strategies board.  On the left we have our fiction strategies to use while we close read {we've only introduced one so far} and on the right we have our informational strategies to use while we close read.


 *Sorry about the glare!*



Then, we reviewed this anchor chart with some of our most commonly read genres.  

During small group, I read the back of some chapter books from our classroom library.  The students created a chart by folding their paper into six sections and labeling with six different genres {historical fiction, realistic fiction, fantasy, mystery, mythology, adventure}.  Once I read the book synopsis, the students discussed together what genre they believe the book belongs to.  We then talked about how some books have many different genres.  

On the last day, I had students label a large piece of construction paper with eight different genres.  Students had to use Scholastic book fliers to cut and paste a variety of book pictures in the appropriate spaces.


I have found that the students love just about any activity that involves cutting and pasting!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home