Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Planning Tips & Tricks

This week, I will not be sharing my visual plans. Instead, I will be sharing how I organize my planning each week.

I remember back when I first started teaching. I would stay late until 6pm almost every day. Then I would trudge out of the school with a bag too heavy for me to carry. How was I so behind and what happened to all my time at school? When two small children came into the picture, the work at home ceased. However, I was still staying at school later than I wanted to.

Here are a few Tips and Tricks that I have found in the past year that has really helped me out in a big way. It's totally been a life saver for me!

First, this photo happened upon my news feed a year or so ago. It's from Miss DeCarbo who has such great organizational ideas. She wrote and entire post about how she organizes her planning life each week. This is where my inspiration came from!

As soon as the week starts on Monday, I start preparing for the next week. That's the ticket to not staying late day after day or taking things home. 

DO A LITTLE EACH DAY!
I use this time to get together things I use each week. I find the copies I will need for the following week and create my reading log and any other word lists (spelling or vocab). I place all the to to-be copied papers in my To Copy drawer.
  • Morning Work
  • Reading Logs
  • Spelling List
  • Vocabulary List
To help my sanity, I have a label I have created to place in my lesson planner each week. The to-do list is for the following week so I can get busy on Monday afternoons!
I use this day to get my resources together based on the skill we will be working on. I may not use ALL of the resources, but I get them together for my planning meeting. I have a planning folder I use put all the resources in.

I use Wednesdays for planning. This is the day I plan with my team. I take my resources out of my folder and write my pre-planning plans in my Day Designer planner {thanks, Ms. Leslie Ann for this idea!}. I then place the copies I'm going to use in my To-Copy drawer.

Thursday is the day where I get it all together. It is also the one day during the week that I plan to work an additional 2 hours past the time I am allowed to leave. I try to only stay late one day a week so I can go home on time every other day! I get all my copies ready for coping (we have someone who does this for us), create all my anchor charts, and plan my focus board wording. 

On Fridays I finalize my plans and write my final plans in my Anchor Teacher Planner that I absolutely LOVE! I also type my newsletter and work on my website for the following week. Once all the copies are done, I place them in my Days of the Week drawers that I pull from during the week.Now I can enjoy my weekend with no planning worries!

Don't forget your favorite pens and markers when planning!


This routine works so well for me and has totally changed the way I plan! Do you have anything that works well for you?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At September 24, 2015 at 6:43 AM , Blogger Leslie Ann said...

We are so alike!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love this post! I need to get inspired to work on school stuff when all I want to do is anything that doesn't involve the classroom! I knew I could head to your blog and be inspired! :)

 
At September 27, 2015 at 11:01 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

How do you make your sticky note to do list that you have in your planner? Or is it typed into your plans? Thanks!

 
At October 10, 2015 at 3:34 PM , Blogger JHARP said...

Helpful tips! Thanks for posting!

 
At October 11, 2015 at 9:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Twinsies FOR LIFE!!!!

 
At October 11, 2015 at 9:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

It is printed on a full-sheet label that I then cut apart and place in my planner.

 

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home