Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Common Core Choice Board

Have you decided what you are going to do with your students once the state testing is over?  My testing finished last week so I was in a scurry to find something for my students to do.  Especially since I know they need review, but they think the end of the school year is here... really?  I had one ask me yesterday why she had to go to social studies.  "We've already taken the CRCT anyway... why do we have to still learn?"  Really??  These kids crack me up.  It really doesn't make sense to me why we test so early in the year (5 weeks left to go).  I wish we could do it so we would only have like 2 weeks left.  So, last week I was in a panic because I didn't know what I was going to do for the rest of the school year.  I still want the kids to learn and there are still things that need to be taught.

Earlier in the year, I made a place value choice board for my kids to work on.  I always have a few kids who finish every thing early and are always asking me what they can do next.  So, I made a simple choice board for them to work on.  They loved it!  It was like I was asking them to do something that wasn't work.. say what?  So, that's where I got the idea from.  If I could make a choice board that reviewed everything we have learned this year, it would be a great way to get the kids to retain our precious knowledge I have been pouring into their sweet heads.  I've been working on it a while now, and I'm glad that I have the first one complete.  I was going to wait until I had them all complete, but I just can't wait (and I know you are all looking for fun things for your kids to do, too!)

We broke it out today and the kids did so well with it!  They read directions and really seemed to enjoy the work.  The pattern blocks activity was by far their favorite.
Here are all the choices... so many to choose from!

I took the time to go over each activity with the class.  Then, I helped them choose the ones they were interested in. 

As the students were working, I was walking around assisting and assessing.... and taking pictures ;-)

Add coloring to anything and the kids love it!

Great prime and composite activity with reflection questions!  He was thinking really hard!

 These activities can be completed as stand alone activities for a unit, as small group instruction, as math centers, or a way for students to review.  Overall, the kids were excited to try something different and have a say in what they do.  

And... for sticking with me until the end.  Here's the place value choice board I made earlier this year.  It's a little simple, but to the point.  Just click on the photo to download.


Please check out my Common Core Choice Board.  It's on sale today and tomorrow for 20% off!

post signature

Labels:

4 Comments:

At April 23, 2013 at 4:27 PM , Blogger Brandee Green said...

Very cool idea! Thanks for sharing! The pics look great!
Creating Lifelong Learners

 
At April 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM , Blogger Collaboration Cuties said...

We are testing this week and one of my 4th graders came up and said, Are you still going to teach us stuff after the test? I was like, uh, yeah! They are funny but they do think school is over once the test is done.

We've already been given a list of things to work on from our 5th grade teachers but we also need to review! This menu will be great, thank you!

So glad I found your blog!
Amanda
Collaboration Cuties

 
At April 23, 2013 at 8:54 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Brandee!

 
At April 23, 2013 at 8:55 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Glad I found yours too! I also teach 4th grade in Georgia!

 

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home